Chanting spiritual words has been proven to calm one’s mind, reduce stress, and improve health. Regardless of one’s personal beliefs or traditions, chanting affects one’s physical and mental health; this holds irrespective of what they are chanting. Repetitive vocal chanting has been found to impact the parasympathetic nervous system because it slows down breathing rates and stimulates certain neurons connected to the vagus nerve.
In his book “Human Sounds” Jonathan Goldman mentioned that he followed a group of French Benedictine monks who chanted every single day for years before deciding to stop. They gave up chanting and soon enough they all became sick! And when they were chanting, rarely did any sickness come upon them. Studies also show that daily- whenever we chant- our immune system is strengthened and we are less likely to catch an illness.
Research has found that chanting can regulate mood swings and emotions. It is thought that this ability comes from the way it regulates the hypothalamus of neurons in the brain – which controls moods and emotions.
- Chanting reduces fear, anger, and anxiety. Anger can trigger our amygdala to become hypersensitive, which leads to an increase in the amygdala’s activity. Thus, when anger increases it tends to continue increasing. Chanting stops this cycle which helps heal the amygdala for good as well as minimize or even eliminate any feelings of anxiety.
- Alcoholics who chant twice a day for 6 weeks have lower alpha and delta brain wave levels. This lead them to experience increased serenity; as proven by studies done by Sethi, Golechha, Deshpande, & Rani in 1991.
- Another study in China looked at those who chanted Photchong Chant and underwent electroencephalogram (EEG) scans to measure changes in brainwave activity. What they found through their research is that those who chanted had decreased theta waves, indicating reduced stress levels; while both the chanting listeners and participants saw these benefits.
- A recent study done by Lavretsky revealed that people who chant had an increase in cellular telomerase activity—which ultimately slows down their aging process.
- Studies done by Gupta and Bhatt show that those who do chants regularly have greater feelings of well-being, less stress, and better mental capacity.
- Chanting before bed relieves stress, which ultimately improves your sleep quality. When you wake up in the morning, you’ll feel much less tired and consequently way more energized!
- Chanting can help your digestive system! Other studies have shown that those who chant have less anxiety and stress which leads to fewer stomach issues in general. Every person has been there before – when you’re at the height of your worries, it isn’t unlikely for digestion to suffer too; people might experience nausea, diarrhea, indigestion, and more. But with chanting such things simply don’t happen.
- Chanting can help us reduce the adverse effects of negative emotions and create new positive ones. It has been scientifically proven that chanting produces a chemical change in our brains that makes it easier for us to maintain an optimistic attitude.
- Studies show that the words used for chanting matter. And listening to someone else chant is helpful…but doing so yourself provides even greater benefits!
After a while, chanting can begin to go deeper than just words. It will start to settle into your system and set an ambiance that surrounds you. What sound does is it helps you create an environment or space for yourself where everything else falls away, and becomes unimportant – but it’s still there if you need it. You are truly living in the moment without being distracted by anything else because it does all depend on how much power sound holds over someone.
hellomyyoga has collaborated with Chitra Ganesh & Harshvardhan Jhaveri and created 2 different sessions on chanting mantras that will energize you, generate positivity in your mind without you even trying, and help lift your spirits. Chanting mantras in our session is an excellent way to elevate your mantra experience. Whether this is your first time chanting mantras or one thousandth- you will be profoundly affected by the end of class; so come join us!
Durga Saptshloki Chanting with Harshvardhan Jhaveri
Date: 3rd, 4th & 5th October
Time: 5:30 – 6:15 AM IST.
Learn about the ancient Indian Sacred Healing mantras of Durga Saptshati, experience the cosmic sounds and purify your aura by meditating while performing guided chanting of Śrī Durgā Saptaślokī.
An Easy Introduction to Mantra Chanting with Chitra Ganesh
Date: 9th and 10th December
Time: 8:00 – 9:30 PM, IST
- What is a mantra
- Introduction to the Sanskrit alphabet.
- Difference between Vedic and non-Vedic chanting.
- Rules of Vedic chanting
- Learn 2-3 Shanti mantras.